Login | Register

Author Topic: Mostly Civilian Problems  (Read 8853 times)

Offline tothetop

• Shipmate
To all those who server on the USS King DDG 41
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:17:36 AM »
I am a retired Electricians Mate who served aboard the USS King from November 1975 until November 1979.  It was a wonderful tour, of course my last and I expected it to be my worst tour of my career.  Due to the chaotic things that were happening on the USS King when it left New Orleans and first arrived in Norfolk Va.  It turned out to be a wonderful "SHIP" and the best tour of duty I ever had, very Much due to the personnel I served with. Jack Ordman HT1-R Breau MMC-Tony Sterbling EM2-CWO Kurek-JJ Langley IC2-Kevin Olsen LT and Weldon Cabaniss IC3 to name a few. Everyone knew me a Chief Blum (EMC). Ya'll be good and I will see you in Las Vegas.

Offline tothetop

• Shipmate
Re: Mostly Civilian Problems
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 07:40:15 AM »
Hello to all who were stationed on board the USS King DDG41 when it left New Orleans LA in 1975 and made its way to the Portmouth Navy Yard. I agree with the post that was made in August 2007, It was really a very gruling time for all hands but as you said in the end we all came through with flying colors.  All hands were very proud of there accomplishments and we continued to excel in everything we did for years to come thanks to the great leadership of the senior Officers and senior enlisted on board. Thanks should go out to all hands on board at the recomissioning and thereafter.  It was a wonderful ride for many years to come.

Offline RMC John Joseph

• Shipmate
  • The Good Ol' Days
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 07:08:58 AM »
Good to see your post McNeil. I sent you a personal message. I hope you are well. I have recently had just a grand time. I shaved off the facial hair and put on the summer whites and attended my son's Navy boot camp Pass In Review on Sept. 3, 2009. It was great fun, and a bit funny too. The newbies eyes looked like they were going to pop out of their head when they saw the "old chief" quite humorous, especially when our paths crossed out on the town on liberty. Aaron asked if I would wear khaki when he was on liberty with us. Talked to Bondu for almost two hours yesterday... boy you guys are getting old!  ;D

RMC
RMC John Joseph, USNR, Retired
Policies and Procedure Tech. Writer
http://www.logicalchoice.com

Offline Jim McNeil

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 20:22:54 PM »
Living on that yard barge was not a good experience, and I can still remember the heat and humidity to this day.  The ship was towed into Portsmouth and then sat there like a shell, and it was.   Amazingly, within a year we that that hulk operational, and ready for sea.  We then proceeded to stack up award after award, and this with a very new, and mostly inexperienced crew.   Hats off to this Great group of sailors  !!!  This crew was truly thee best crew in the DDG fleet-- at the very Least.

Offline RMC John Joseph

• Shipmate
  • The Good Ol' Days
Mostly Civilian Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 06:33:09 AM »
I'm a retired RMC now. At the time I was just an RMSN sent to the Pre-commer unit residing in those old barracks in Norfolk across the parking lot from the chow hall. My dad stayed in those same barracks during the Korean War and RM training. Anyway, the KING was in Mississippi under a contract with a civilian yard. It was determined that everything they had done was pretty well screwed up, and they towed the KING to Portmouth, VA. We took the ship and spent another year modernizing and upgrading her. My understanding is the majority of the valves and such in the plant were replaced and installed backwards by the contractor. NTDS was upgraded to MOD 4 Phase 4, and we added the WSC-3 SATCOM equipment to the radio shack. I'm not sure if the SRC-16 tuner matrix was fully integrated with the rest of the HF transmitters before she was decommed or after in the yards at some point. It was very nice to have that much automated tuning at the time. I can tell you that they had also painted all the WHIP antenna with lead based paint. I remember working on the pier with a pneumatic wire brush, gloves, eyewear, overalls, and stripping them down to bare metal. We had a ton of work. Commander Grant Sharp was sent as our new CO. William Sharpless (?) correct name (?) pre-comm skipper had fallen ill and passed quickly. I'm certain that other Dept's. can tell their own little horror stories of what they had to fix AFTER it was fixed. That and the shakedowns, and INSERV about killed us with the operational schedule. Ultimately I think we were all very pleased and proud of or accomplishments. The radio gang completed authoring and producing the Communications Doctrine, the CIC Doctrine, and the Operation Manuals. We procured copies of these same manuals from the USS Coontz, the USS Mahan, and I believe the USS Luce. We literally cut and pasted sections of them to blanks sheets and used IBM Selectric II's to add new technical data into the manuals. Most of the RM's had a very clear idea of the capabilities of the USS KING; it's sensors, tracking, communications, and integration with fire-control computers and weapons. Now in the 21st Century 2007, I look back and think how AWESOME a fighting unit the KING was, and how advanced we were technically. A few of us went on to become DS's. I stayed an RM/ITC and worked on advance UNIX computers for status and control systems, and TT&C (telemetry, tracking and control) for PanAmSat/Hughes Communications in a very large earth station as a civilian and a Navy instructor in the Reserve for 21 years.
RMC John Joseph, USNR, Retired
Policies and Procedure Tech. Writer
http://www.logicalchoice.com