• October 16, 2019, 19:25:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S.1877 - Saluting the Flag  (Read 15515 times)

Offline charles white

• Administrator
  • OOD
  • 1963-1967
Rules for Rendering Hand Salute of U.S. Flag
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 13:27:06 PM »
a follow up,

New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag
The National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 contained an amendment to allow un-uniformed servicemembers, military retirees, and veterans to render a hand salute during the hoisting, lowering, or passing of the U.S. flag. The amendment does not address saluting the flag during the playing of the national anthem, pledge of allegiance, honors (i.e. Taps), or any other saluting situations. 

Excerpt from H.R. 4986:

SEC. 594. CONDUCT BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES AND VETERANS OUT OF UNIFORM DURING HOISTING, LOWERING, OR PASSING OF UNITED STATES FLAG.

Section 9 of title 4, United States Code, is amended by striking ?all persons present? and all that follows through the end of the section and inserting the following: ?all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.?
Chuck White 1963-1967
BT3, EB Division, USS King DLG-10
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Webmaster
2011-2017 Communications Director

Offline Dave Nesbitt

• Global Moderator
  • Shore Patrol
Re: S.1877 - Saluting the Flag
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 06:30:31 AM »
I agree with you there Mark, putting my hand over my heart always worked for me.

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:18:02 AM »
That was not my question, I know it has not been approved yet.  ;D

Sorry! Looks like multitasking has tripped me up again!

It would seem odd to me, saluting uncovered, let alone in civilian clothes!

The way it reads, you would have the option to do either. While I certainly respect the wish of others to salute the flag, I'm not sure I would - it just wouldn't feel right. I think I'll stick with the old ways.
FC1(SW), WF / CF Division, 1986 - 1990
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Historian

Offline Dave Nesbitt

• Global Moderator
  • Shore Patrol
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 06:05:52 AM »
That was not my question, I know it has not been approved yet.  ;D

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:00:43 AM »
As of today (11/21/07) it is not in effect yet. It has passed in the Senate, but the House has referred it (H.R. 3380) to the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties.
FC1(SW), WF / CF Division, 1986 - 1990
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Historian

Offline Dave Nesbitt

• Global Moderator
  • Shore Patrol
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 04:19:17 AM »
I am curious as to how this will effect boarding a US Naval Ship in Civilian clothes. Previously, when boarding, you came to attention on the brow, facing aft towards the ensign, you then came to attention facing the OOD and requested permission to board the ship. Do we now render a salute?   ???

Offline charles white

• Administrator
  • OOD
  • 1963-1967
S.1877 - Saluting the Flag
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 13:14:27 PM »
S. 1877:
A bill to amend title 4, United States Code, to prescibe that members of the Armed Forces and veterans out of uniform may render the miltary salute during hoisting, lowering, or passing of flag.

Passed Senate [details] Jul 25, 2007

This bill has been passed in the Senate. The bill now goes on to be voted on in the House. 
Last Action: Jul 26, 2007: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

This bill is identical to H.R. 3380 (Status: Introduced).

Votes on Passage
Jul 25, 2007: This bill passed in the Senate by Unanimous Consent. A record of each representative's position was not kept.   

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) today praised the passage by unanimous consent of his bill (S.1877) clarifying U.S. law to allow veterans and servicemen not in uniform to salute the flag.

Current law (US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and servicemen not in uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying whether they can or should salute the flag. 

"The salute is a form of honor and respect, representing pride in one's military service," Senator Inhofe said. "Veterans and service members continue representing the military services even when not in uniform. Unfortunately, current U.S. law leaves confusion as to whether veterans and service members out of uniform can or should salute the flag. My legislation will clarify this regulation, allowing veterans and servicemen alike to salute the flag, whether they are in uniform or not”

"I look forward to seeing those who have served saluting proudly at baseball games, parades, and formal events. I believe this is an appropriate way to honor and recognize the 25 million veterans in the United States who have served in the military and remain as role models to others citizens. Those who are currently serving or have served in the military have earned this right, and their recognition will be an inspiration to others."

This Bill was passed July 25, 2007.

Let your veteran friends know about the Passage of this Bill.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 23:10:38 PM by Chuck White »
Chuck White 1963-1967
BT3, EB Division, USS King DLG-10
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Webmaster
2011-2017 Communications Director