• December 13, 2017, 23:55:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ship's History  (Read 4266 times)

Offline B. Carlsen

• Shipmate
Re: Ship's History
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 20:28:28 PM »
Mark,

My first sight of the King was from Cubi Point NAS in January or February of 1968. From Subic Bay we spent a month on NSAR then came back to Subic Bay and transited home to San Diego by way of Brisbane, Pago Pago, Guam, Midway and Pearl Harbor. That set of deck logs could pin down the dates of that memorable passage.

There was also a passage to Subic Bay from Midway we did when Capt. Jackson was the CO.  It was significant because he took us through the Philippine Is. rather than around. Seeing those logs could confirm our my suspicion that he was on a historical journey through the waters where some of the major Naval Battles of WWII were fought.

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
Ship's History
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 13:21:25 PM »
In the process of retrieving documents from the government, it really helps to narrow down the information and tie dates to events. We all know some of the more significant dates, but what about the details? Where was the ship? What other ships were we operating with? Who were the shipmates involved.

One of the reasons this has become more important is that I just learned that the Deck Logs from 1964 to 1973 are in fact at the National Archives facility in College Park, a little more than an hour from me. They are still classified, but the Archives Staff will begin the declassification process soon since we have shown an active interest in those documents. As you can imagine, this is a staggering amount of information, so they will be happy to review the logs for specific date periods - in other words, out of chronological order. All I have to do is tell them which logs I want and they will let me know when they are ready for me to go over there and copy them.

I hope that we can start topics in this section that are based on specific events and hopefully we will get feedback from other shipmates who were there. The more information we have, the easier it will be to find the documents to support those events and get them declassified.
FC1(SW), WF / CF Division, 1986 - 1990
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Historian