• October 18, 2018, 06:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 50 Year Anniversary  (Read 3740 times)

Offline brucerobbins

• Shipmate
Re: 50 Year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »
I just noticed one of my cartoons on your comic page, thanks for finding that! I designed the "Lil Beav" character for the yearbook in 1965 and always posted a daily cartoon on the bridge grease board (my watch post as a radar-man [now OS]) which featured some recent event the ship experienced, I usually signed them with my nickname, "Rob". "Lil Beav" was derived from the B-Link comm. system(nicknamed "Beaver") I also painted a pair of them on the sail cloth capstans on the forward main deck. I also had a cartoon "Alligator" for our other comm. system but it was not as popular.
Does anyone remember the UFO we spotted back in '64 (or ] 65) that we couldn't officially report because the OOD would have to fill out handwritten triplicate forms and the thing had disappeared by the time he was notified anyway.
Thanks - Bruce Robbins

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
50 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 13:10:21 PM »
Today marks 50 years since the USS KING (DLG-10) was commissioned under the command of CDR Melvin E. Bustard.

See the Commissioning Booklet here.

In just under four months from now, we will mark the 20th anniversary of the decommissioning of the USS KING (DDG-41) after nearly three decades of exemplary service!
FC1(SW), WF / CF Division, 1986 - 1990
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Historian