• December 16, 2018, 12:51:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Da Nang  (Read 146553 times)

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
Re: Da Nang
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2010, 15:07:58 PM »
As a member of the Board of Directors, I have full access to the database which includes contact information (including CAPT Tarbuck, the CO on that cruise). Since that information is largely confidential, I can't really post it or forward it to you.

I can try to contact them directly on your behalf to see if I can get any more information.

I still believe that the deck logs would be the best starting point as they will include latitude and longitude navigational data. This will tell you precisely where the ship went. That may seem like a tall order, but I have calculated tracks before (http://www.uss-king.com/ptboat1966.shtml), so I can assist with that one.

Mark D.

FC1(SW), WF / CF Division, 1986 - 1990
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Historian

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 14:17:21 PM »
It's funny you mention about inlet and harbors because I looked up gulf, bay, harbor and according to Wester dictionary they are pretty much the same thing water surrounded by land. I don't mean to sound like a whine baby but there has to be some reason he has these diseases associated with Agent Orange.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 07:45:30 AM »
Fred Wmaybe I should go into more detail I sent the entire list article to the VA Board with the USS King highlighted and about 2005 I sent 38 C.F.R. with the passages and diseases listed on Presumption Exposure.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 07:38:39 AM »
Thanks, but I sent this to the VA already and they still need more proof and I sent 38 C.F.R. and Ron has all but 2 diseases listed. Nobody has returned any help that was stationed on the ship with him.

Offline fredw

• Mid Watch
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 21:58:32 PM »
I across this:
The following is an excerpt from Compensation and Pension Service Bulletin, January 2010
Compensation and Pension (C&P) Service has initiated a program to collect data on Vietnam naval operations for the purpose of providing regional offices with information to assist with development in Haas related disability claims based on herbicide exposure from Navy Veterans. To date, we have received verification from various sources showing that a number of offshore ?blue water? naval vessels conducted operations on the inland "brown water" rivers and delta areas of Vietnam. We have also identified certain vessel types that operated primarily or exclusively on the inland waterways. The ships and dates of inland waterway service are listed below. If a Veteran?s service aboard one of these ships can be confirmed through military records during the time frames specified, then exposure to herbicide agents can be presumed without further development.You will notice in this Bulletin the instance of a destroyer cited as presumptive exposure because it "Operated on coastal inlet north of Da Nang, June 2-5, 1966, protecting Marines holding a bridge."

So, a coastal inlet is an inland waterway, but a harbor is not?

Again, the entire list of ships published by VA, that was recently sent to Senator Akaka, is filled with instances of bays, inlets and harbors categorized as Inland Waterways.

:) This is the same area the King was operating in when it did most of the Naval support Gun fire.
Fred Wright

Offline fredw

• Mid Watch
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 21:53:02 PM »
I am guessig but it would seem to me that a buddy statement and anything to support would get it along way. We now have the Haas decision to help. http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files5/0941678.txt
Fred
How do I find out what the VA accepts?
Fred Wright

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 18:40:25 PM »
How do I find out what the VA accepts?

Offline fredw

• Mid Watch
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »
Ron
The one thing that seems to count is what the VA accepts.
Fred
I have heard the water decontamination story both ways, it's hard to know the truth and which source you are going to believe, in the end I ques it's really what the decision believes. I have seen picks of fishing villages completely devastated from defoliants but I still don't know the truth.Thanks for your reply.
Fred Wright

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 06:35:35 AM »
I have heard the water decontamination story both ways, it's hard to know the truth and which source you are going to believe, in the end I ques it's really what the decision believes. I have seen picks of fishing villages completely devastated from defoliants but I still don't know the truth.Thanks for your reply.

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 05:33:34 AM »
I received a reply notice from the VA which stated "if you served or visited the country of Viet Nam or its inland waterways". Now I don't have a logistical mind set, but my common sense tells if I move to fire on the VC and receive fire back shouldn't I be inland water, since I received a VSM and Bronze star. If not then how do I find out who ordered the move and how far did the ammunition go when fired. Why is it so much more difficult to prove the spraying of the defoliants? Fred W. and Mark D. THANK YOU for responding to all my questions and extension of my knowledge.

The range of the 5" gun on the King had a range of roughly 13 nautical miles, so it was not necessary to be operating on inland waterways in order to shell the enemy (and vice versa).

To my knowledge, the King never operated on inland waterways, though many other destroyers did. The Bluewater Navy site has more information on this:

http://www.bluewaternavy.org/shiplist2%20announcement.htm

By the way, after reading the documents that Fred W. pointed out, I stand corrected - it appears that dioxin would have survived the desalinization process, so it could have been introduced into the ship's drinking water.

Mark D.
FC1(SW), WF / CF Division, 1986 - 1990
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Historian

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 20:02:52 PM »
I received a reply notice from the VA which stated "if you served or visited the country of Viet Nam or its inland waterways". Now I don't have a logistical mind set, but my common sense tells if I move to fire on the VC and receive fire back shouldn't I be inland water, since I received a VSM and Bronze star. If not then how do I find out who ordered the move and how far did the ammunition go when fired. Why is it so much more difficult to prove the spraying of the defoliants? Fred W. and Mark D. THANK YOU for responding to all my questions and extension of my knowledge.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 17:47:19 PM »
I read the whole report, do you have any knowledge on how it's received by decision committee.

Offline fredw

• Mid Watch
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 15:55:55 PM »
http://bluewaternavy.org/directexposure.htm how to use the Da Nang Harbor report. Good reading.
Fred Wright

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2010, 09:59:17 AM »
That sounds good to me I also think all diseases should be documented by these Viet- Nam Vets, if it effects one part of the body sounds logical to me if would effect other parts of the body and as the "DA Nang Report" says who and how defoliants effects individuals is different from one to another. I go one step farther ALL VIET NAM CAses should be settled before NEW Wars are done( are is this political of a statement).

Offline fredw

• Mid Watch
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 03:54:19 AM »
I have heard from so many that have ischemic heart disease and diabetes that I really think there should be a registry. Maybe a trend would show help pinpoint a cause.
Fred Wright