• August 16, 2018, 18:14:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Da Nang  (Read 138226 times)

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
Re: Da Nang
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 19:17:23 PM »
I'm glad to help in any way I can!

Unfortunately, proving contact with Agent Orange is virtually impossible. That's why it is assumed that any serviceman who stepped foot in Vietnam was exposed.

At one point, blue water sailors fell under the same rules, but this ruling was suspended and sailors have to prove they went ashore.

I have heard of instances of "circumstantial exposure". What I mean by that is that by proving a sailor was aboard a ship that moored in a Vietnamese port, contact was possible (and therefore assumed probable) just like those stationed ashore. I believe those were case-by-case, so no real precedence has been set.

It is my opinion (and that of many others) that since stores and munitions were often temporarily staged ashore in Vietnam, that even sailors who never moored in Vietnam but received repleneshment at sea were exposed to varying levels of Agent Orange.

I believe that if it can be shown that the King was moored or anchored in Vietnam and that she received supplies, then the exposure link can be made with Ron in the execution of his normal duties.

The deck logs for 1972 and 1973 are at the National Archives in College Park, MD. Here is the specific information:

RG 24 USN Deck Log
USS King DLG 10/DDG 41
1972 190/46/21/2
Estimated pages - 500
Estimated reproduction costs - $375 ($0.75 per page)

RG 24 USN Deck Log
USS King DLG 10/DDG 41
1973 190/46/21/3
Estimated pages - 500
Estimated reproduction costs - $375 ($0.75 per page)

Requests for quotation/ordering should be made to:

National Archives and Records Administration
Archives II Reference Section
Textual Archives Services Division
8601 Adelphi Rd.
College Park, MD 20740-6001

More contact information can be found here:

http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/contact.html

Part 2 would to be determining if supplies were brought aboard. This might be documented in the deck logs in which case you should have the documentation you need. If not, it may be necessary to contact the Department of the Navy to find supply transfer documents.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 19:19:03 PM by Mark D »
FC1(SW), WF / CF Division, 1986 - 1990
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Historian

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 18:39:44 PM »

Thank you so much for all the information and so quickly answered. Now if I may bend your ear some more, is there any more information out there that you that might satisfy the VA request for proof of being in Da Nang Harbor and coming into contact with Agent Orange? Ron did the stores onboard. Can it be proven that Agent Orange was sprayed on the crates and boxes and were contaminated. We can't Thank you enough for going out of your way to help a fellow VET. You have done more for us than our DAV rep.

Most of the time, stops in Vietnam were for resupply or officer briefings. Crates and boxes brought aboard for resupply could have easily been contaminated with Agent Orange as they were stored on base. It is a known fact that most, if not all, US facilities in Vietnam used Agent Orange as a defoliant on the base perimeters to eliminate hiding places for NVA and VC.

The time line is the best place to start narrowing down dates:

02 October 1972 - Left for WESTPAC

09 October - 11 October 1972 - Pearl Harbor, HI

26 October - 29 October 1972 - Subic Bay, PI

It is possible (and likely) that she stopped in Da Nang between 29 October and 05 November 1972.

05 November - 28 November 1972 - YANKEE Station, Gulf of Tonkin

29 November - 09 December 1972 - Subic Bay, PI

The 09 December to 11 December window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

12 December 1972 - 15 January 1973 - YANKEE Station, Gulf of Tonkin

17 January - 28 January - Sasebo, Japan

30 January - 03 February - Yokosuka, Japan

The 03 February to 09 February window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

09 February - 12 February - YANKEE Station, Gulf of Tonkin

The 12 February to 14 February window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

14 February - 20 February - Subic Bay, PI

23 February - 27 February - YANKEE Station, Gulf of Tonkin

The 27 February to 03 March window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

03 March - 04 March - Subic Bay, PI

06 March - 09 March - Kaosiung, Taiwan

10 March - 17 March - Hong Kong, BCC

The 17 March to 19 March window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

19 March - 31 March - YANKEE Station, Gulf of Tonkin

The 31 March to 05 April window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

05 April - 06 April - Yokosuka, Japan

11 April - Midway Island

14 April - Pearl Harbor, HI

21 April - Return to San Diego

I hope that helps!

Mark D.

[/quote]

Offline kayo1952

• Mid Watch
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 07:49:41 AM »
thanks so much for the information it will be a big help and more ideas will be greatly
appreciated.

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 07:35:03 AM »
Most of the time, stops in Vietnam were for resupply or officer briefings. Crates and boxes brought aboard for resupply could have easily been contaminated with Agent Orange as they were stored on base. It is a known fact that most, if not all, US facilities in Vietnam used Agent Orange as a defoliant on the base perimeters to eliminate hiding places for NVA and VC.

The time line is the best place to start narrowing down dates:

02 October 1972 - Left for WESTPAC

09 October - 11 October 1972 - Pearl Harbor, HI

26 October - 29 October 1972 - Subic Bay, PI

It is possible (and likely) that she stopped in Da Nang between 29 October and 05 November 1972.

05 November - 28 November 1972 - YANKEE Station, Gulf of Tonkin

29 November - 09 December 1972 - Subic Bay, PI

The 09 December to 11 December window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

12 December 1972 - 15 January 1973 - YANKEE Station, Gulf of Tonkin

17 January - 28 January - Sasebo, Japan

30 January - 03 February - Yokosuka, Japan

The 03 February to 09 February window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

09 February - 12 February - YANKEE Station, Gulf of Tonkin

The 12 February to 14 February window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

14 February - 20 February - Subic Bay, PI

23 February - 27 February - YANKEE Station, Gulf of Tonkin

The 27 February to 03 March window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

03 March - 04 March - Subic Bay, PI

06 March - 09 March - Kaosiung, Taiwan

10 March - 17 March - Hong Kong, BCC

The 17 March to 19 March window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

19 March - 31 March - YANKEE Station, Gulf of Tonkin

The 31 March to 05 April window is another possibility for a Da Nang stop.

05 April - 06 April - Yokosuka, Japan

11 April - Midway Island

14 April - Pearl Harbor, HI

21 April - Return to San Diego

I hope that helps!

Mark D.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 06:13:58 AM »
Mark D, Thank you so much the information Ron has had several strokes and can't remember the exact dates when he was aboard the King, it was the Westpac cruise from 1972-1973. I guess it would help to have the right when seeking information. Do you have anymore information you can impart to me. I'm his wife and we're trying to get Agent Orange connected as he has several disease listed to be connected.
Thank you for all your time and effort.

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 05:38:11 AM »
Ronald,

The King was not deployed from 9/1973 to 9/1974. She received her prototype CIWS system (installed on the fantail) on 12 August 1973 and spent the next several months testing it out.

She then proceeded to New Orleans, LA where she was decommissioned on 30 April 1974 for AAW modernization.

A good place to look for general timeline information is here:

http://www.uss-king.com/TimeLine.shtml

This information was taken directly from the official ship history documents (submitted by the Commanding Officer annually) which were obtained from the Naval Historical Center.

Some scattered information was taken directly from the ships logs obtained from the National Archives. I was unable to obtain all of the deck logs from the National Archives as the cost is extremely high for all pages (numbering in the thousands). Anyone located near the National Archives facility in College Park, MD can go in and view the logs at no charge. Photocopying services are available on site.

Mark Donovan

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 19:29:32 PM »
Hi, and thanks for the information about Da Nang in 1970. Can I ask where ,how and when did you receive this information?  I'm looking for the year of 9/1973- 9/1974. Do you have any suggestions and how and where too to look.
Thank  You for any help you can give me.
Ronad D. Bell
grampron@yahoo.com

Offline fredw

• Mid Watch
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 21:59:05 PM »
I was aboard during that time and the King Dlg-10 anchored in DaNang harbor on August 8, 1970 for the last time. That Cruise I have the deck log for this west-pac.

Fred Wright
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 16:26:10 PM by fredw »
Fred Wright

Offline kayo1952

• Mid Watch
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »
Hello Cheryl my name is Marie thanks again for the information you sent....My husband applied for disability a few weeks ago and like you I have been doing all the searching for any information there is I did find the time line of the ship so my husband can give it to his service officer so she can check the national archives. Good luck to you

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 19:40:40 PM »
 I'm sorry I forgot to mention my husband also has Ischemic heart Disease and we have filed for disability. He's at 80% now and we're praying for 100%. He had (I believe 4 stints put in). We filed a claim I think in Sept. By the way my name is Cheryl. Even when you have the diseases to get military connected IT EXTEMRELY HARD to get connected since it's the Navy is involved. Ron was an SH-2 , he worked in the storewares.I have been in contact with John Paul Rossieand this is his reply on how to DA Nang Report  Da Nang Harbor flows into the Guld of Tonkin. Our planned argument for acounting for contaminants flowing through Da Nang Harbor and then out to sea has not been put together yet. So far, there's nothing that can make a ship eligible for exposure to herbicides if it is offshore. We are working on it. The best use of the Da Nang Harbor Report is obviously if/when you entered the Harbor. Since the KING was a DD/DDG, it is highly probable that sometime during its cruise it entered the Harbor. Check in your Cruise Book for 72-73. Also, look on the Internet for a Ship's Association, that would have such records. If you are having problems, then it is a good guess that maybe another of your shipmates are too. The Ship's Association may know about that, and may already have some information developed for filing claims.
       Good luck with this, Ron. The more heads you can get together, the higher the probability that you can come up with something useful.

-John Rossie
    BlueWaterNavy.org

We have sent in so much information I'm tired of it, but we ( should use I since I do it all).
Good Luck  Cheryl

Offline kayo1952

• Mid Watch
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
Check with BLUE WATER NAVY site. They thought it might be since it was in Tonkin Bay. It also was listed on ships in the Congress release of 700 plus ships in the Da Nang report. My husband Ronald D. Bell was stationed on the USS KING from 9/73-6/74, I believe. He has End Stage Renal Failure, Diabetes, Dialysis, 2 Strokes, Hip Replacement,Wheelchair and PTSD ,which are fine government says we have to prove Agent Orange and PTSD. Good Luck if we fine anymore information I'll contact you.

Thanks for the information I have already checked   the Blue Water Navy site.
 My husband has heart Ischemic heart disease and like you we have to prove Agent Orange Good Luck to you too and it we fine anymore information I will contact you as well

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 20:06:50 PM »
Check with BLUE WATER NAVY site. They thought it might be since it was in Tonkin Bay. It also was listed on ships in the Congress release of 700 plus ships in the Da Nang report. My husband Ronald D. Bell was stationed on the USS KING from 9/73-6/74, I believe. He has End Stage Renal Failure, Diabetes, Dialysis, 2 Strokes, Hip Replacement,Wheelchair and PTSD ,which are fine government says we have to prove Agent Orange and PTSD. Good Luck if we fine anymore information I'll contact you.

Offline kayo1952

• Mid Watch
Da Nang
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:42:28 AM »
can anyone who was on the King from 1971 to 1973 remember when the ship was docked in Da Nang harbor  and made a supply run ?