• June 23, 2018, 15:07:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Da Nang  (Read 132911 times)

Offline grampron

• OOD
Re: Da Nang
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2011, 16:59:58 PM »
Kayo 1952 Thank you so much I'm very angry with the VA and what they put people through and seeing the constant daily drain it takes on people lives is complete BULL. It just make more stub-born. My daughter mailed your stuff today. Don't know how before it gets to you, but be expecting it. Thank you for your encouragement.

Offline kayo1952

• Mid Watch
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2011, 13:56:45 PM »
don't give up by reading your post you have found a lot of information that you might be able to use.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2011, 07:32:47 AM »
Does anyone else feel violated by what the VA has done to the VIET NAM VETS, first you go to WAR where chemicals are sprayed that can kill you, then if you're lucky enough to make it back the VA wants YOU to prove YOU were in a certain place and time with their documentation before they will even consider giving you money to take care of your medical expenses never mind the life style you might have had if they had done the RIGHT and THING and provided you with what is already in their Possession. Sorry just feeling mad at the VA.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2011, 20:52:29 PM »
Glad we're on the same page, but I got some not so-good news from the DVA, which denied Ron's ischemic heart disease. They gave no reason, now we wait for the VA reason, of course we are allowed to appeal it. I have been fighting over nine what makes the VA think I'll give-up.

Offline kayo1952

• Mid Watch
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2011, 17:02:31 PM »
when I said there were two boats in the harbor that day I meant the two small boats that were lunch from the USS king

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2011, 16:03:52 PM »
Sorry, I just so excited when I get more information and forget words in sentences.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2011, 16:01:21 PM »
Ron has had several strokes and doesn't remember ever being on a utility or whale boat on the USS King, I wish it was as simple as that, but my mind is constantly swimming with ideas and thoughts.
1. Why and where did the Helios come from? Seems to me transferees of personnel, mail, mapping out coastline and VCs and supplies were the main jobs. At one point and time they would have to land on ground and transfer to out to sea ships, thus bringing contaminated soil with for they also had to have the personnel too.
2. Replenishing, refueling  and gunfire support were the main objections of the USS King, so to me they were more of a supply ship.
3. If you're a DLG, big enough to go down the Da Nang Harbor for one trip it doesn't make since to that you wouldn't take more. The USS Mahan DLG/11 is on the "Brown Water List , so why isn't the King?

Offline kayo1952

• Mid Watch
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2011, 15:20:29 PM »
what are the odds that your Husband and mine were on that same utility boat or whale

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2011, 13:50:23 PM »
No, as far as I know it was just the USS King and the utility and whale boat were  part of the USS King. Then a bunch of long.and lat. are given, then it states"1324 set flight quarters for vert. rep. from USS Flint." Then more long and lat. Now

Offline kayo1952

• Mid Watch
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2011, 08:59:36 AM »
so there were two boats in the harbor that day.

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2011, 06:18:41 AM »
How close to the shoreline would you have to be if you had to avoid fishing nets?

Anywhere from a couple hundred yards to several miles - it's really hard to say.
FC1(SW), WF / CF Division, 1986 - 1990
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Historian

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2011, 21:04:36 PM »
How close to the shoreline would you have to be if you had to avoid fishing nets?

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2011, 20:56:30 PM »
Paul A.Cogan from NARA "CAN'T THANK YOU" enough for all your help.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2011, 20:49:11 PM »
Thanks to the NARA I now have proof that USS King was in Da Dang Harbor on 11/21/72 for a mail run at 1214 a utility boat was in the water at 1205 a motor whale boat reported engine trouble.At1244 utility boat back aboard. 1258 motor whale boat back aboard with mail 1302 to clear Da Nang Harbor. It's signed by D.E. Hesser.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2011, 15:18:39 PM »
Sorry, Ron was on aboard from 9/72 till 4/74. We have been fighting with the VA since 1999( I believe) and been denied, contested the denial and not until last month did we found out they have reopened Ron's case. I can't tell you how much we have been doing this on our own without much help except Mark D and Fred W. We look up everything we can find. Ron has FGSG which has led him to End Stage Renal Failure and dialysis, low blood pressure( causing a stroke,blindness,and leaving him in a wheelchair ) ishemic heart disease( 4 stents), diabetes, hip replacement (that went bad), PTSD, fibromgalia, and a couple little things I can't remember. I constantly am asking questions, checking on Agent Orange information, Blue Water Navy( they just updated their list on brown water ships. In the end it comes checking on your own information. Good Luck.