• December 10, 2018, 21:40:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Da Nang  (Read 146265 times)

Offline grampron

• OOD
Re: Da Nang
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 22:18:36 PM »
Thank you.

Offline fredw

• Mid Watch
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 18:43:34 PM »
When I applied for specificate dates and told them I was doing agent orange research they waived the fee for me.
Good Luck

Fred Wright
Fred Wright

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 13:46:37 PM »
I thought of drinking water being contaminated, is that possible?

Drinking water was manufactured onboard from seawater with water distillation plants. It is highly unlikely that any AO that may have been in the seawater (which would have been diluted to a harmless level anyway) would have made it through the distillation process.
FC1(SW), WF / CF Division, 1986 - 1990
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Historian

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 13:11:59 PM »
Thanks again I sent in the request and they wanted a fee of $250 but you can apply for a fee waiver so I did.  I thought of drinking water being contaminated, is that possible?

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 12:11:59 PM »
You referred me to contact the US NAVY over supplies is there a special point of contact are do I just contact the Navy in general?

It would probably have to be a general Freedom of Information Act request:

http://foia.navy.mil/index.asp

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 11:50:27 AM »
You referred me to contact the US NAVY over supplies is there a special point of contact are do I just contact the Navy in general?

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 11:01:11 AM »
Mark, Hi, here I go again I was reading the history for the USS King 1972 and now I have several questions. First it mention CAR, I requestioned the Ribbon back in June/July how long does it normally take to get it?

Those guys are notoriously slow. I'm not surprised at all, but you should consider an inquiry or request resubmission if you don't hear anything by the end of January.

Was it possible to have sprayed Agent Orange on ammunication the VC armed on the ship with?

That all depends on where the ammunition came from. If it went from the US to the Philippines to a resupply ship then to the King, then no, it would not have been sprayed with AO.

If it was stored in Vietnam before going to the resupply ship (then on to the King), then yes, it's possible that it got sprayed.

With all the horror stories that surround Agent Orange, it was not a chemical warfare agent. It was a highly concentrated variant of DDT, a pesticide. The sole purpose was to kill vegetation. By killing off the vegetation, this deprived the enemy of valuable hiding areas. As a result, the military command in Vietnam felt that all military installations should have a clear security perimeter around them. They sprayed AO around the bases on a regular basis to keep it clear. Any number of variables (wind, overspray, etc.) caused AO to cover buildings and materials inside the base perimeter, including supplies waiting to be transfered to bases and ships.

Why isn't there any printed narragatives for 1973?

I have all of the narratives in paper form here. I used them to populate the timeline page I mentioned in other posts. I have not had the chance to enter them online yet.

I looked at the 1972/73 narratives and found no specific mention of mooring/anchoring in Vietnam, but narratives are often vague. Here is a link to the command histories I have entered:

http://uss-king.com/KingWiki/doku.php?id=comhist

This is a new section of the website that is under construction and has not gone public yet, so please excuse any broken links you might find.

Mark D.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »
Sorry I meant fired at instead of armed

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 09:59:19 AM »
Mark, Hi, here I go again I was reading the history for the USS King 1972 and now I have several questions. First it mention CAR, I requestioned the Ribbon back in June/July how long does it normally take to get it? Was it possible to have sprayed Agent Orange on ammunication the VC armed on the ship with? Why isn't there any printed narragatives for 1973?

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 10:20:59 AM »
Now I know what I did wrong of course, and I do look dumb but there were several different sites and of course I looked at the wrong one. Thanks for dealing with my computer skills( how sadly lacking they are). Now i redid it know the answer to my own question.

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »
Mark, Please don't think I'm dumb, but why did you send me to http:// archives.gov/de-mento/contact.html. I went there last night and the the only thing I found was about stopping wars.

The link should have been for contact information at the DC area National Archives. Here's the link again:

http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/contact.html

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »
Mark, Please don't think I'm dumb, but why did you send me to http:// archives.gov/de-mento/contact.html. I went there last night and the the only thing I found was about stopping wars.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »
You don't know what a SUPER- BIG help you ARE.  I have so much more information now. May you RECEIVE a SPECIAL BLESSING for all your KINDNESS. I will keep you posted. THANK YOU AGAIN and the MERRIEST of CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR.

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
You're welcome - I hope this information can help.

Please keep me posted on your progress.

Mark D.

Offline grampron

• OOD
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 20:26:27 PM »
You have been such a BLESSING to us with all the information you've relayed to us. We have been on a merry-go-round with the VA for over 8 years and got nothing accomplished. You have given me a glimmer of hope again. Thank you for all your time, energy and everything you spent helping us.
Sincerely,
Ron and Cheryl