• February 16, 2019, 10:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: King, Mahan and Oriskany  (Read 10722 times)

Offline Mark D

• Administrator
  • OOD
Re: King, Mahan and Oriskany
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 19:56:27 PM »
I also was aboard DDG 11 USS Mahan in the late 60's.  I am looking for info on a boiler explosion aboard between Nov 69 - Mar 70.  I was involved in the incident and need the deck records or need to know how to access the deck log for that time frame...any help would be greatly appreciated...
sincerely, John McLaughlin

John,

Those deck logs should have been declassified (the Coontz and King logs have been declassified) and are held by the National Archives in College Park, MD. If you or someone you know lives near there, you can access the logs and take digital pictures of them at no cost. If you can't get there, I'm sure they'll copy them and mail them to you for a fee. Here's a link to their web site:

http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/

FC1(SW), WF / CF Division, 1986 - 1990
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association Historian

Offline John McLaughlin

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 13:33:27 PM »
I also was aboard DDG 11 USS Mahan in the late 60's.  I am looking for info on a boiler explosion aboard between Nov 69 - Mar 70.  I was involved in the incident and need the deck records or need to know how to access the deck log for that time frame...any help would be greatly appreciated...
sincerely, John McLaughlin

Offline ddhall

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 17:15:25 PM »
Bill,
Yes the three ships you mention were on a WestPac deployment from late August 1963 through February 1964. I was aboard the USS Mahan DLG-11 and that was my only WestPac cruise. I was a DS2 in operations division maintaining the NTDS Display equipment manufactured by Hughes Aircraft.

I am looking for other 1960 through 1966 DS's that were stationed aboard the King, Mahan and the Oriskany.

See attached photo of NTDS Computer Programming School 1962-06-15 San Diego, CA

Perhaps this gives you some info.

Thanks, Don Hall former DS2 USS Mahan DLG-11 Dec 1962 thru July 1965

Offline photojerry

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 23:00:20 PM »
Jerry Cook, SN, Plank Owner DLG-10. I remeber steaming with the Oriskany and Mahan in 61/62 before I left the ship. We all had a lot of sea time then running the NTDS gear to make sure it worked before heading to WESTPAC.

Offline jerry logan

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 22:18:24 PM »
I was on the King from 1970 to 1973 and remember planeguarding for the Oriskany with the sister ship Mahan along side. I made 3 west pacs plus  india /packastan war task force 74.my youngest son is a lifer  just made 1st class OS . 8 years  . has been to irag 3 times and served on the USS JOHN C. STENNIS ,france and Italy and now san diego.  I,m proud he kept the family navy tradition. 2nd class logan

Offline Bill French

• Plank Owner DLG-10
  • Shipmate
  • 1960-1964 Plank owner
King, Mahan and Oriskany
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 12:45:40 PM »
Somewhere in my mind I'm remembering the King,Mahan and Oriskany steaming off the coast of Vietnam in the latter part

of 63 or early 1964.  Does anyone have any memory of this event?  Is there anywhere else that I can go  to verify this? 

Reading in the paper this morning that the Oriskany will be sent to the bottom off Pensacola in May of this year.  How sad, she would make a great memorial.

Thanks, Bill French