Login | Register

Author Topic: Passing of Bill Schreffler  (Read 2171 times)

Offline rhclinton

• Shipmate
  • 63-65
Passing of Bill Schreffler
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:28:04 AM »
I am sad to report the passing on 2 June 2013 of Bill Schreffler FT1.  I am not certain about the exact span of his time on the King but he was certainly aboard for the 1965 cruise to the Tonkin Gulf. I vividly recall talking to him in the chow line one day when he mentioned that he was from Missouri.  "What town", I asked.  "A little place you probably never heard of".  "Try me", I said.  "Canton" he replied.  "Yes I have heard of it - in fact I was born and raised there".  Bill was five years younger than I, and his family moved to Canton about the time I was leaving, so, despite the town's small population, we had never met before he reported aboard the King.

Bill graduated from Canton High School in 1959 and served for 20 years.  After he retired in 1979 he returned to Springfield, Missouri and continued to work in electronics.  His obituary says of him "Bill was a man who never met a stranger and would talk everyone's ear off.  He was an avid reader and had a great memory for everything he read.  He was a fantastic husband, dad and Grandpa"

Bill is survived by his wife of 53 years, a son and a daughter and one sister.

We have lost a good shipmate.

Bob Clinton